I'm going to talk about our experience (thus far) with cloth diapering, what we use, and accessories to make the experience more enjoyable. Cloth diapering isn't for everyone and its definitely a personal choice. But for those who are considering cloth diapering, this post is for you!
I chose to cloth diaper for several reasons 1) I wanted to keep my carbon footprint to a minimum 2) I wanted to keep the chemicals off my baby as much as possible 3) I heard that babies potty train sooner and have less diaper rash when using cloth diapers 4) I wanted to save money
We use BumGenius cloth diapers. We love them!! They are easy to use, clean well, and we have very few leaks with them. We have both the snap and velcro options, but now that I have a moving child who hates having her diaper changed I wish that I had more of the velcro ones. We do use disposable diapers at night just because E is such a heavy wetter that I'm afraid she wouldn't make it 10-11 hours without wetting her clothes.
How we wash them:
I usually do a load of cloth diapers about every other day. (We have 25 cloth diapers.) I do a pre-rinse cycle and then wash them for a full cycle in hot water. Then the inserts can go in the dryer and the outer coverings are hung to dry. For any stains that don't come out in the wash you can lie them out in the sun and that will get them out. We use Charlie's Soap to wash them.
Accessories:
- Pail liner (we got ours here)- put this in a regular trash can with a lid and then you have a place to put the dirty diapers. When you are ready to wash the diapers, you take the whole liner and dump the diapers in the washer and then the liner in too. You don't ever have to touch the diapers. Whohoo!
- Wet bag- I use these for when we go out and about. I have several but my favorite is the one that has two pockets. One to place clean diapers and a pair of clothes in and the other where you place the dirty diapers.
-Diaper sprayer - These are definitely nice to have to get the poop off but I don't use it as often as I thought I would.
-Diaper liners - these are great to place in the inside of the diaper. Then you can take the contents of the liner and dump it in the toilet and flush it!
I've loved using cloth diapers and I'm so glad we did it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!



This is great! My girlfriend wants to do cloth diapers and know she will love to read this {sending it on now!} Thanks for linking up! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so awesome!! :) (I'm the girlfriend Kristin is talking about!) We're considering cloth diapers, so I love to hear info about it!
ReplyDeleteI have another friend who just started using cloth diapers. Thanks for sharing your experience- I love educating myself on the options for all things baby!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you did this post! :) We are loving our cloth diapers so much. It surprised me how easy they are to use! AND they are so cute :)
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabth!
ReplyDeleteI'm a brand new follower and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. Your daughter is absolutely precious!! I am a new mom as well :) My little girl, Ava, is now 6 months old. Isn't the time flying!?
Keep up the great blogging! I am enjoying your posts. Hope you'll stop by and visit my blog sometime.
All the best,
Christina @ The McGuire Family
MarkChristinaMcGuire.blogspot.com
I love this post! I am 20 weeks pregnant and seriously considering cloth diapering. I plan to buy one this weekend so that I can check it out in person, rather than online, but my mind is almost completely made up. I love finding other new mama's and clothe diapering mama's! Found you through the Baby Talk link-up - new follower!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you posted this. I am leaning toward cloth diapers and this brand, but am unsure if the effort and cleanup is worth it. This definitely helps! I haven't really played around with one, so I'm still confused on the whole shell/liner and if there is an insert already with the shell that is removable when the baby soils. I may be asking you more about this as it gets closer to my due date!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet words and for sharing that your feet didn't grow a size! That is encouraging! Love looking at pictures of cute little Elyanah!