Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ant Bites

It was an eventful Sunday evening here at the Racca house. I was planning on doing paper work after dinner this evening and sit on the couch and watch the Princess Protection Program on the Disney channel (yes I wanted to watch it - I am not ashamed). I thought that Jason and I should go walk Lucye real quick to let her go to the bathroom and get some energy out. We walked around our apartment complex for a bit and then Lucye did her usual laying in the grass on the hill by the creek before we went back in to the apartment. As she got up to walk towards the house, she started walking funny and all of sudden Jason said " She's got ants all over her." Immediately, he got her on her tummy and started brushing them off as fast as he could. We rushed to the house to get her in the tub to make sure we got all the ants if we missed any. By the time, we put her in the tub, Lucye looked very tired and was acting lethargic. I called the ER vet clinic and told them what happened and they said to bring her in for some medicine. We got in the car and headed that direction. Lucye started having really labored breathing and was trying to go to sleep and wasn't trying to move at all. Let me just say that I was crying and hysterical and telling Jason to run the red lights (which he did run a few but he did do it safely - there were no cars coming). In what seemed like forever, we finally made it to the ER clinic and they took her back and started her on some IV benadryl and short acting steroid medication. We stayed there a couple of hours while they monitored her. I am happy to say that Lucye is doing better and is on children's benadryl at home but I think her poor momma is traumatized. I don't know if she will be laying in the grass anytime soon. Here's a picture of belly of all the ant bites. That doesn't include all the ones you can't see that are in her fur.


3 comments:



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com