J decided to not make his appearance earlier than his induction date so early on May 27, we gave kisses to E, left her with my mom who was staying with us, and drove to the hospital 45 minutes away. We arrived at the hospital a little after 7:30 in the morning. We got settled in and they started the Pitocin at about 9:00a.m. The contractions weren't really bad all morning long. I entertained myself by watching the Today Show and HGTV and phone calls and pictures from my mom about E. I sat on the birthing ball and walked around as much as the monitor belt would let me. At 12:30, my doctor came in to break my water to possibly help my labor progress as it hadn't done much all morning. Having my water broke was definitely a weird sensation considering that it broke spontaneously last time. The contractions did start to intensify after my water broke but I still could tolerate them. I was really wanting to try to get to a 3 or 4 before getting an epidural because I wanted to be in active labor. At that point I was only dilated to a 1 1/2.
My contractions continued to intensify for the next couple of hours, and I was having to really breath and moan through them. We had bought a TENS unit before coming to the hospital to help with pain and I started using it with some relief. By about 4:30 -5, I was in a lot of pain and was really hoping I was dilated more. My doctor came in a little after 5 to check me and said that I was at a 3 1/2 and 60% effaced so I could get my epidural. Words I was so excited to hear. My wonderful nurse called for the doctor to give me an epidural. It seemed like an eternity (I'm sure it was probably like 5 minutes) but the doctor gave me my epidural at about 5:30 and I started feeling better. Right after I got the epidural and was being laid down in bed, my nurse checked me and I was at a 4 1/2. I had planned on taking a little short nap once my epidural finally took effect since I had been up way early and I was getting kind of tired.
However, J had other plans. My contractions intensified (although I couldn't feel them thank goodness) and I kept progressing quickly. Every 20 minutes or so my nurse would check me and I would be another centimeter dilated. By about 8 cm, J's heart rate would decelerate with each contraction but it would go back up afterwards. It made me so nervous because I could hear it but they assured me that it was ok because it went back up. They told me the cord was probably being compressed somewhere during a contraction. By 7:30, I was at a full 10! In 2 hours, I had dilated 7 cm! Crazy. I could feel J's head and needed to push but I couldn't because my doctor wasn't there yet. He was definitely crowning and you could see his head (or so I was told). I was ready to push because I wanted him out because the heart rate deceleration was making me anxious. My doctor got there pretty quickly and started putting her gloves on and when my next contraction came, she told me to push. Two contractions of pushes and our little boy was out!! He was ready! He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice but there was no problems. They put him quickly on me for a few minutes and I got to meet our sweet little boy.
They took him to weigh him and get his Apgar scores and then they brought him back to me and Jason, me and J got acquainted with each other. He was such a beautiful baby. I was smitten from the start. I was starving since I couldn't eat while in labor (Stupidest rule ever by the way) so since Jason's dad was in the waiting room waiting for J to be born, he went and got me a milk shake from Sonic (strawberry cheesecake to be exact) and got Jason and me Raising Cane's for dinner. We stayed in the labor room until about 10:15 ish and then they sent us down to our recovery room. It was so late that Jason's dad and family just decided to go back to the hotel and see J the next day. Jason and I went to bed soon after that with our sweet little boy next to us.
*Blogger isn't letting me upload pictures right now - lame!*
*Blogger isn't letting me upload pictures right now - lame!*
No comments:
Post a Comment